Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Pen Pals

Pen Pals Galore

I have around 20-25 pen pals that I just adore. I have been writing some of them for a few years now and I will never look back. Some of them are like close friends or family. Others are just great writing companions. Either way, I love them all and look forward to each and every letter that I receive. I would say between swapping on Swap-bot and writing pen pals I write on average 10 letters or more per week. Needless to say, I go through a lot of postage. 

My first pen pal I had was when I was in fourth grade. My teacher arranged for us to have international pen pals and mine was from China. We wrote a few letters back and forth and it was fun. My next pen pal was a girl I met at a Cleveland Indians baseball game. We wrote constantly for months until we decided to meet up. She came to spend the night at my house. Big mistake! She stole my Backstreet Boys CD (I was a 90's kid) and it was all over then, although I wish we had kept in touch. 

A few years ago while I was on Pintrest looking up bullet journal spreads I came across a spread with an incoming and outgoing pen pal letter chart. I was so intrigued. I did a little research and found out there are websites dedicated to pen pal letter writing AND postcard trading. I was amazed. How cool! I discovered sendsomething.net and I met several pen pals on there. From there I discovered postcrossing.com and swap-bot.com, two other great websites. My new hobby had originated within a short time. I was hooked. I still am...

What to write about in a pen pal letter:

You want to have a good introduction, straight to the point. Write about your job, your pets, your hobbies, your taste in music, etc. Let your new pal into your life a little. You don't have to write your life story by any means but give them a taste of what makes you who you are. 

After the introductory letter here are some things that you may want to include in your letters if you are stuck for ideas:

  • all about your siblings
  • what you did that day/week/month
  • upcoming trips you have planned
  • where you've traveled to
  • something you're looking forward to
  • something you regret
  • your favorite games to play
  • holidays/traditions that you celebrate
These are just a few off the top of my head but in the future I will go more in depth on the pen pal letter topics. I am always looking for new ideas and try to incorporate something interesting into each letter. Letters are a great way to practice your creative writing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

This Weekend

As my summer trip to Minnesota grows nearer, I have been tying up loose ends, finishing up swaps, working on my poetry classes, and making c...